Protein services refer to a range of services that are offered by companies and organizations involved in the production, purification, and analysis of proteins. These services are used by researchers and companies in various fields, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and academic research.
Protein services include:
- Protein expression: production of proteins using various expression systems such as bacteria, yeast, insect cells, and mammalian cells.
- Protein purification: separation of proteins from other cellular components and contaminants using various techniques such as chromatography, filtration, and centrifugation.
- Protein characterization: analysis of the physical, chemical, and biological properties of proteins using various techniques such as mass spectrometry, NMR, and X-ray crystallography.
- Custom protein production: production of custom-designed proteins for specific research or therapeutic applications.
- Antibody production: production of antibodies for research, diagnostics, and therapeutic applications.
- Protein engineering: modification of proteins to improve their stability, activity, or other properties.
- Protein crystallization: preparation of protein crystals for X-ray crystallography analysis.
Protein services are crucial for advancing research in many fields, as they provide researchers with access to high-quality proteins and specialized expertise in protein production, purification, and analysis. Protein services companies work closely with researchers and companies to develop customized solutions that meet their specific needs and requirements, and offer a range of services to support all stages of the protein development process.